Sunday, September 27, 2009

The joy of sewing....



This is what I've been working on the weekend.I've started a red and white quilt,just gotta love that combination! and with this quilt are red work stitcheries by Bronwyn Hayes.I'm making her quilt called cotton country and this is the first stitchery block I've stitched so far.I'm loving the simplicity of her work and just using one colour to sew with.

I've also been putting the borders on Gail Pan's BOM.I still have the final block to finish but I hope to have that done before next weekend so I can start putting it together.I'm thinking of maybe using a 2" sash between each block in a gold toned fabric....I don't want to use another dark colour as I want the finished quilt to be light and airy looking that's why I displayed the blocks on a light coloured material.I'd like to use a white toned/gold background as all my block backgrounds are a crisp white.What do you think I should do?

18 comments:

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Lovely work as usual, Barb! :~)
I love the new stitchery you are working on. I think the gold/white for Gail Pan blocks would look very nice- do you plan on a final red or green border?

Renny's little things said...

Nice Barb
I like the fabric you have displayed the Gail Pan blocks on I think you should go with that or something like it!!
The new stitchery is lovely it will be nice to see them all done. I love red and white and blue and white.
Keep up the nice stiching.....

Geniene

Susan said...

Love your Gail Pan blocks outlay.
I also love the Bronwyn Hayes block and am also busy with a quilt by her, all in purple,have done quite a few of her stitcheries, . Doing the Polka Dot Girls quilt. There is a blog for anyone doing her stitcheries.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Barb , always so lovely !

Chris H said...

I love the simplicity of the red and white... I think your idea is good!

Vicki ♥ said...

I also like the light colour fabric and perhaps a dark border. Looks good Barb :)
hugs
Vicki

Lucky-1 said...

Love the fabric the blocks are on Barb..... good choice in my books :D

Miriam said...

I love the new stitchery!

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful design and stitching. I love it. You are very talented!

Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Barb said...

Yes, the joys of sewing!!

Doris said...

You have been very busy too Barb! Really nice projects you have there.

Ondrea said...

Just lovely Barb! I wouldn't expect anything less LOL Yep, I reckon go with a crisp white and gold sashing so it goes better with the blocks.Hmmm must get back onto mine now.

Mistea said...

The Christmas Wish blocks look amazing and a light coloured sashing would be perfect. Love that Red work, but then I am a bit of BH fan. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Really like the light sashing for Christmas Wishes - could just then have a narrow darker border or even a mixed red and green binding?

Nancy in Norway said...

You do wonderfull work.

Millie said...

Barb you always do such a good job on your handwork...it is such an inspiration to visit your blog!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I am a big fan of redwork and your block looks gorgeous! Your BOM is looking great too - can't wait to see it finished.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I agree, redwork in gorgeous, and I love that Bronwyn Hayes one you've done - actually, I love stitching pumpkins of odd shapes. ;-)
How is the Christmas quilt coming along? Have you sashed it? I'm putting mine together this week. :-)
Hugs
Jenny